While travelling Garhwal you can chose to stay at Rishikesh, if you like a quieter place than Haridwar. The routes of 'Chardham' starts from Rishikesh. From Rishikesh also you can hire the vehicle for your tour at taxi union.
Rishikesh is situated at an altitude of 356 meters and 24 km from Haridwar. It is a very sacred place, where in ancient times saints used to meditate in ashrams. You will enjoy the charming scenic beauty along with the famous bridges over Ganges ' Lakshman Jhula' and ' Ram Jhula' and countless temples and ashrams along the bank of the river on either side. The other places you will like to see near by are Muni Ki Reti, Swargashram, Triveni Ghat, Pushkar Temple, Bharat Temple, Chandreshwar Temple, Someshwar Temple, Rishikund, Raghunath Temple etc.
How to reach Rishikesh:
From Haridwar you can reach Rishikesh by auto rickshaw or, taxi. Up to Haridwar see here.
Distance of important places from Rishikesh:
- Rishikesh to Haridwar : 24 km
- Rishikesh to Srinagar: 105 km
- Rishikesh to Rudraprayag: 139 km
- Rishikesh to Gourikund: 224 km
- Rishikesh to Joshimath: 250 km
- Rishikesh to Uttarkashi: 148 km
- Rishikesh to Gangotri: 248 km
- Rishikesh to Jankibai Choti (Yamunotri): 216 km
Where to stay at Rishikesh (Hotel):
STD code of Rishikesh: +91 0135
- GMVN Tourist Rest House – Bharat Bhumi A/C DB @ INR 1000; Non A/C DB @ INR 450 – 600 Ph: 2433002
- GMVN Tourist Rest House – Rishilok at Muni ki Reti A/C DB @ INR 1000 – 1400; DB Non A/C @ INR 200 – 800 Ph: 2430373
- Sesame Jhari - A/C DB @ INR 1800; Non A/C DB @ INR 1100; Dormitory @ INR 150/ bed Ph: 2438651
- Indralok – ph: 2430870
- Nataraj – Ph: 2431099
- Akashganga – Ph: 2430870 / 451
- Sree ji – Ph: 2431068
There are many more to fit every budget.